Hazardous to pets

Household Items Hazardous to Your Pet

Most parents are familiar with the experience of baby-proofing their home. Having a little one in the house means blocking stairs, plugging sockets, and putting away things that could be harmful or poisonous. Just as we prepare our homes for our tiny humans, we should also take precautions for our pets. Animals, especially when they are younger, are curious and want to explore things they find around the home. It’s essential to stay in the know about household things that could be poisonous for them.

Some items at home could seem harmless, and we may not even know they are hazardous for our pets.

So, let’s take a look at some typical things found in the home that are harmful:

  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes Raisins
  • Garlic
  • Onions – all parts of onion in any form are poisonous to dogs.  

Essential Oils:

  • Peppermint
  • Lavender (Cats)
  • Wintergreen
  • Eucalyptus (Cats
  • Tea tree (melaleuca)
  • Cinnamon


  • Lilies: members of this type of plant can be highly toxic to cats specifically. Even a small amount can cause kidney damage.
  • Tulip/Narcissus Bulbs: Among other symptoms, the bulb portions of Tulip contain toxins that can cause intense gastrointestinal irritation, depression of the central nervous system, and cardiac abnormalities.
  • Azalea: / Rhododendron: Severe azalea poisoning, in some cases, can cause coma and death from cardiovascular collapse.

Chrysanthemum – Contains pyrethrin, which can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and in some cases, loss of coordination and depression.

While different things are poisonous to different species, you can also speak with your family vet about harmful things to your pet.  If you believe your pet has ingested anything hazardous, it is important to call your vet immediately. Symptoms to look for are:

  • Vomiting
  • Fatigue
  • Difficulty Walking
  • Muscle Tremors
  • Pawing at the mouth or face

You may also consider making sure your pest control methods are animal friendly. There are so many things to consider for your pet’s safety, research or speaking for a professional is recommended. We don’t often think that our new decorative plant or favorite oil in the diffusor could harm anyone or anything in your home.