Household Pet Toxins

Household Pet Toxins

Beware! Our homes are full of dangers! Now that I have your attention, there is no need to worry. Below are lists of some of the most common household toxins and poisons to watch out for as well as what to do in an emergency. 

17 Plants Poisonous to Pets | ASPCApro

This list of poisonous plants by the ASPCA includes lilies, tulip bulbs, azaleas, cyclamen, amaryllis and even chrysanthemums. My kitty cat loves to chew on plants, so we make sure any plants in the house are non-toxic and/or keep them out of reach. 

According to Nationwide Insurance, based on claims received, household toxins that pets often ingest include rodenticide, poisonous household plants, chocolate and caffeine, antifreeze, household cleaning products, and human medications. Nationwide reports that they “received more claims for drug toxicity or overdose than all other poisoning claims combined.” Never give your pet medication meant for you whether over the counter or prescription. There are some human medications that pets can take but always consult your veterinarian before giving any type of supplement or OTC med to make sure it is safe and to check dosage. Certain human medications are deadly to cats and dogs, acetaminophen and ibuprofen for example. If you think your pet has ingested any poison, seek veterinary help immediately. The ASPCA poison control center operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year (see below.)

According to the American Animal Hospital Association, the following foods are the most common culprits in household toxin ingestion by pets:

  • Chocolate
  • Xylitol (often found in sugar-free gum)
  • Macadamia nuts
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Alcohol
  • Caffeinated drinks
  • Raw yeast dough
  • Raw or undercooked meat

Once again, if you think your pet has ingested any of these common household toxins or poisons, seek veterinary help immediately and call poison control if needed.

The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A consultation fee may apply.